Our Clients

Southwork Council
Barnet London Borough
Newham London
Waltham Forest
Barking & Dagenham
City of Westminster

The Party Wall Surveyor London People Trust

The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 is intended to enable property works to take place whilst protecting adjoining owners. The obligation is on the owner who wishes to undertake works to notify his neighbours in writing of what is proposed. When applicable the Act provides statutory procedures for appointing surveyors who resolve matters by way of a ‘party wall award‘. An award lists the format that the persons undertaking the work are required to adopt. It does not allow an adjoining owner to stop someone exercising their rights to conduct work under the Act, however, it does ensure that the works are performed in such a manner that protects the adjoining owners’ interests.

Free Party Wall Advice

Experts in Party Walls

With years of experience and a wealth of knowledge, we provide unbeatable service and expertise. From complex disputes to simple agreements, Icon Surveyors have the skills and experience to ensure your party wall issues are resolved quickly and efficiently. Don’t take any chances when it comes to your property – trust the experts at Icon Surveyors to get the job done right!

Quick & helpful advice

Lightning-fast and helpful advice to solve all your property problems. With the knowledge and experience, to guide you through any issues you face, ensuring a speedy and efficient resolution. Don’t let property problems hold you back – trust the professionals at Icon Surveyors to provide the advice you need when you need it!

Pain free service

The best service in the industry, with a friendly and approachable team, working with us an amazing experience. With expertise and a commitment to delivering results, we’ll ensure your project is completed on time and to the highest standard. Don’t settle for second best – choose Icon Surveyors for an exceptional service that exceeds all expectations.

Building Owner

I am planning to undertake Works

Step 1

Get a free, no-obligation fixed-price quote by simply emailing us your plans or drawings. It’s that easy!

Step 2

Get your project moving without delay! With our lightning-fast service, you’ll receive your fixed-price quote within just 30 minutes.

Step 3

Speak with our expert team to get all your questions answered and make informed decisions about your project.

The most common works we see when working on Party Wall Matters

Loft Conversion

A Loft Conversion is a common type of construction work, that falls within the remit of the Party Wall etc Act 1996 and require Party Wall Notices to be issued. Loft Conversions commonly invoke two sections of the Party Wall Act, first is due to the removal of the existing roof, thereby exposing the Party Wall. Second, cutting into the Party Wall for the insertion of the steel support beams.

Internal Works

There are various internal works that fall within the remit of the Party Wall etc Act 1996 and require Party Wall Notices to be issued. The most common is Chimney Breast removal.

Both cutting away the Chimney Breast attached to the Party Wall, and the associated support, for the remaining stack or breast, are covered by the Party Wall etc Act 1996.


Home Extension

Home extensions are the most common type of construction work that falls within the remit of the Party Wall etc Act 1996, they often require Party Wall Notices to be issued. Home extensions commonly invoke two sections of the Party Wall etc Act 1996. The first relates to the excavation for the foundations of the extension. Second, is dependent on the location of the extensions flank wall, if this is built up to or astride the boundary line, this will require the service of Party Wall Notices.

New Walls

Construction of new walls can fall under the remit of the Party Wall etc Act 1996, and often require Party Wall Notices to be issued. If a new wall is being up to, or astride the boundary line. A Party Wall Notices will be required under the Party Wall etc Act 1996. This will also facilitate access to the adjoining owners land, to ensure the wall is completed safely and to a good standard.

Basement Conversions

Basement Conversions fall within the remit of the Party Wall etc Act 1996 and require Party Wall Notices to be issued. When undertaking a basement extension, both the deep excavations and underpinning to the existing Party Wall or adjoining owner’s wall, are what the industry call higher risk works. It’s common practice to have a checking engineer appointed and Security for Expenses requested by an adjoining owner’s Surveyor.

Other Works

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 covers various types of works, commonly misunderstood to fall within the Acts remit. Want to know more? Give us a call now, we are more than happy to discuss your Party Wall Surveying requirements.

Team Accreditations

Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors. The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors is one of the world’s largest and most influential professional bodies that regulates and promotes the property surveying profession. With a Royal Charter since 1881. Within our team, we have both RICS Registered Party Wall Surveyors, Valuers and RICS Accredited Mediators. Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors
Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) Chartered Institute of Building. The Chartered Institute of Building is the world’s largest and most influential professional body for construction management and leadership. With a Royal Charter since 1834 to promote the science and practice of building and construction for the benefit of society. Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB)
Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb) Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. The Chartered Institute of Arbitrators is the world’s leading qualification and professional body for dispute avoidance and dispute management. With a Royal Charter since1979. Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb)
Cabe CABE. Chartered Association of Building Engineers. A Building Engineer is a competent, professionally qualified, experienced individual with a critical understanding of the interaction of buildings and people. Building Engineers collaborate to deliver better outcomes for everyone. Cabe
Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution (CEDR) Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution. The Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution (CEDR) specialises in mediation and alternative dispute resolution (ADR). We are an independent non-profit organisation and a registered charity. Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution (CEDR)
RICS Registered Valuer RICS. The independent quality assurance process of Valuer Registration, reinforces the highest professional standards. Valuer Registration is a risk monitoring and quality assurance programme which checks compliance with the RICS Red Book. RICS Registered Valuer
RICS Accredited Mediators All Accredited Mediators included on the register will have successfully completed training with RICS or a training provider that meets the requirements of the Civil Mediation Council. RICS Accredited Mediators

Party Wall Surveyors Role

Expert Consultation

Our Party Wall Surveying experts guide you through your construction project, ensuring compliance with the Party Wall Act while streamlining the process and minimizing disputes.

Serving Notice

We prepare and serve clear, concise, and legally compliant Party Wall Notices, enhancing the chances of gaining consent from your neighbours while outlining the project’s impact.

Surveyor Appointment

If adjoining owners request a surveyor, our skilled Party Wall Surveyors represent your interests and collaborate with others to ensure fair and impartial resolutions for both parties.

Crafting the Party Wall Award

Our surveyors carefully assess proposed works and draft a thorough Party Wall Award, providing you with peace of mind and confidence to move forward with your project.

Monitoring and Ensuring Compliance

Our Party Wall Surveyors monitor construction progress, ensuring compliance with the Party Wall Award, and verifying proper completion without damage to adjoining properties.


We’ve compiled a list of the most commonly asked questions from our clients to make sure you have all the information you need to make informed decisions about your project. From pricing to scheduling, we’ve got you covered.

Plus, with our expert team on hand to address any additional questions or concerns you may have, you can rest assured that you’re in good hands.

Don’t let uncertainty hold you back – check out our FAQ section today and get the answers you need to succeed!

    Request a Callback

    This form uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your data is processed.

    How do I serve a Party Wall Notice?

    A Party Wall Notice is a legal document, with this in mind you must ensure that the service is legally correct and valid.

    A Party Wall Notices can be served by:

    Post: When you serve a Party Wall Notice via post, you must allow 2 further days, accounting for postage delays on top of the 14 days statutory Notice period.

    Hand: In order to ensure this method is legally valid, you would be required to physically hand the Notice to an occupant within the Adjoining Owner’s property. We would also advise obtaining the name of the person, whom you handed the Notice.

    Conspicuous Area: You can also serve the Party Wall Notice to a conspicuous part of the property i.e. a door, window or even a gate. This method is usually used when the name of the Adjoining Owner is unknown.

    Email: You can serve a Party Wall Notice via email. However, the Adjoining Owner must confirm in advance of being sent the Notice, that they are agreeable to electronic service.

    Here at Icon Surveyors, we have served Party Wall Notices via all of the above methods over the years.

    An Adjoining Owner has 14 days, not restricted to business days to respond to the Party Wall Notice.

    The Building Owner must allow a further 2 days for postage delays.

    The Building Owner must allow for normal holidays, these should be added to the Party Wall Notice response times.

    Party Wall Notices will need to be addressed to the legal owner of the property, known within the Act as the Adjoining Owner.

    Here at Icon Surveyors, our Party Wall Notices have undergone extensive legal checks to ensure that they are, both correct and legally valid.

    The Party Wall etc Act 1996, confirms an Owner is anyone with more than a 12-month interest in the property.

    Most tenancies in England and Wales are on an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST) basis meaning the tenant is not considered an owner under the Act and wouldn’t be due to a Party Wall Notice.

    As part of a Party Wall Surveyor’s statutory duty, they will undertake legal checks prior to serving a Party Wall Notice and can confirm exactly which owners require a Party Wall Notice

    Related Blog

    A Comprehensive Guide to Types of Property Walls By Icon Surveyors
    November 10th, 2021 Party Wall etc. Act 1996

    In this blog, Icon Surveyors will look at three types of property walls, namely a ‘Rubble Wall’, a ‘Solid Brick…

    A Guide to Gallows Brackets and Chimney Stack or Breast
    June 27th, 2022 Gallows Brackets

    In this blog, Icon Surveyors will be considering what a “Gallows Bracket” is and what it is used for? What…

    5 Common Things That Devalue a Property
    October 25th, 2021 Property Valuation

    For an individual procuring a property to live in is one of the most important purchases a buyer will make…

    Why Choose Icon Surveyors

    Highly qualified

    Certified by the leading governing bodies in the property industry


    More than 20 years of experience in the industry


    UK-wide locations mean we’re always close by for your surveying needs.

    Competitive Pricing

    Offering you the best value for money

    Get A Quote